With Anna Coddington at our MA graduation, Auckland Town Hall, 2005
I am a Romanian born New Zealander (born to Cris Calude and Elena Calude,
both living in NZ), working as a senior lecturer in linguistics, at the University of
Waikato. I research various topics: Māori loanwords,
language evolution, cognitive grammar, corpus linguistics, Romanian linguistics. My PhD is in the area of grammar and was supervised by
Prof. Jim Miller and Assoc. Prof. Frank Lichtenberk.
3 QUIRKY FACTS ABOUT ME
I have Erdös number 2 from a joint paper with Prof. Solomon Marcus.
I am left-handed. In 2005, I completed the full length Auckland marathon in 4 hours 2 minutes.
PAST RESEARCH POSITIONS
2011 (Oct-Dec) – Visiting Researcher, Department of Linguistics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany.
2008-2012. NZ FRST postodoctoral fellow, University of Reading, UK, in Mark Pagel's evolutionary biology group.
2007-2008. Researcher in Linguistics, University of Auckland, NZ.
2008. Researcher in the Department of Psychology, University of Auckland, NZ, for the Austronesian Database Language, under the guidance of Prof. Russell Gray.
2007-2008. Researcher in the Centre for Pacific Studies, University of Auckland, NZ, on the grammar and dictionary project for Takuu language, under the guidance of Prof. Richard Moyle.
2000-2001. Research Assistant, Mathematics Department, The University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ.
SERVICES TO THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY
2018-current, Editor-in-Chief of Te Reo - Journal of the Linguistic Society of New Zealand
2018-current, member of Advisory Board for Token - A Journal of English Linguistics
2017-current, external member of the Human Language Technologies Research Center, University of Bucharest, Romania
2014-current, proof-reader for Language Science Press
2016-current, Editor Board for International Journal of Language Studies
2009-current, Associate Editor International Journal of Linguistics
* serve on organising committees for the New Zealand Linguistics Society Conferences (2012, 2014).
* examine PhD theses (in cognitive grammar, corpus linguistics, translation studies, loanword research)
* referee papers for various journals, such as, Constructional Approaches to Languages volume, Folia Linguistica, Journal of Historical Linguistics, Canadian Journal of Linguistics, Complexity, International Journal of Linguistics, and Proceedings of the Royal Society B
* referee grant proposals (e.g., Swiss National Science Foundation),
* referee abstracts for various LAGB Annual conferences (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016) and various New Zealand Linguistics Society conferences (2014, 2015).
Volunteer for the Red Cross as a Meals on Wheels driver, NZ, (2007)
Volunteer for Trade Aid as shop assistant in Botany Downs Shopping Center, Botany Downs, NZ, (2003-2004)
Volunteer for the The City Mission, NZ, (2002)
Regular blood donor (every three/four months), in NZ (1995-2008) & the UK; (2008-2012)
OTHER STUFF I DO / LOVE
I love to dance (salsa) and have done so for over 10 years (on a semi-regular basis). This is where it all started.
My favourite sports are running, tennis and volleyball, but I have always done yoga in some form or another (and am especially fond of ashtanga yoga).
I love crafts, and in particular crochet (there's always yarn and a crochet in my bag, and I am known for knitting in meetings).